Friday 30 September 2016

Pine cone firelighters - 50 makes for Christmas 20/50

Now that the temperatures have started to drop and there is a distinct Autumnal feel in the air it is only a matter of time before we will be closing the curtains, lighting the fire and snuggling down on the sofa.  With this in mind it seems like an ideal time to share this make, I have seen these posh firelighters in the shops around Christmas time but can never bring myself to buy them as they are ridiculously expensive for what they are.  In theses circumstances of course you consult the oracle that is Pinterest and Pinterest says yes Sandra you can makes these yourself,

http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/


There seems to be two methods of making these either drip hot wax over the cone or melt a tea light in a cake case and place the pine cone in the melted wax, these were made using the second method.

Heat the oven to gas mark 4.  Take the tealight out of the metal case and stand it in a cupcake wrapper and place in a muffin tin. I used silicone cases for mine, they were brought a few years a go when I was experimenting with making my own candles but they never got used.


http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/


Pop in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, you need to keep a close eye on these as you only want the candle to melt to a liquid state.  You most use extreme caution as hot wax can burn quite badly and is highly flammable, after the falmmability is what we will be harnessing!


http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/


Remove from the oven, push the wick in the metal disc to the side of the case using handle of a spoon (or other), this will be used to light the completed firelighter.  The wicks are very short and a couple did separate from the disc, I still poked them to the side and I am hoping that won't create any issues when I use them.

http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/



Place the pine cone in the melted wax and leave to cool.  You can either leave in the paper cake case or peel it off, the removed cake cases will also be good to help start your fire, they do look very nice once "peeled" and more like the shop brought ones.

http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/



I will be bagging some up as gifts and keeping some to use myself.  You can add spices such as cinnamon to the melted wax for a Christmassy smell.  I am planning to dry some orange slices as part of my 50 makes for Christmas and I think I might quarter a couple of the slices and add them in to a future batch, they will look pretty and should smell nice too.


http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/



That is make number 20 completed from my 50 makes for Christmas challenge.

Has this inspired you to have a go or do you have your own method of creating home made fire lighters?











2 comments:

  1. They're so cute, makes me wish I had a fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thrift deluxe, maybe you could make some for a friend with a fire?

    ReplyDelete