Sunday 29 March 2015

...learning to sew

I made a post a couple of weeks ago describing some of my sewing fears (Saturday morning sewing), and I have decided to do something about it.

vintage threads, kilner jar


Sewing is supposed to be something I enjoy and when it gets to the point where it is not enjoyable and I was beginning to question why I was doing it I took a step back and had a think.  I decided that I was being a bit hard on myself and that because there is so much free information and self help videos on the internet that I can learn all I need to know and while this method has been very helpful it has not given me all the answers I am looking for, so I have signed up for a 6 week sewing class.

We will be using the new look 6176 pattern

http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=6176#.VRfahvnF-QA



The course sets out to

  • show how to measure yourself to get a correctly fitting garment
  • how to interpret all the pattern markings
  • cutting out and tacking your garment in preparation for sewing
  • techniques for darts, seams, hems, buttonholes and zips


This seems to tick off a lot of things that I have been struggling with and that in turn should help with building my confidence.


I am also looking forward to the camaraderie and inclusion that usually comes in this type of learning environment. 



Have you made new Look 6176? Do you have any top tips?





No comments:

Post a Comment